Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Fresh and Fruity

October 23, 2007
The wine of the night was a 2001 Yoakim Bridge Zinfandel from Dry Creek Valley. The bottle cost us $33 at the vineyard, clocked in at 14.5% alcohol by volume, and had a real cork closure. We visited Yoakim Bridge on our last trip to CA and it was one of our favorite stops. The owners were so friendly, they offered us meatballs to eat and even sent a personal email thanking us for visiting and purchasing wine when we got home.

The first thing I notice about the wine were the fresh berries jumping out of the glass from afar! It smelled delicious with raspberries, blackberries, and vanilla cream on the nose with hints of chocolate and pepper. The nose was very fruit foward.

The fruit follows through in the mouth and is very fresh on the palate. There were raspberries and other red fruit. The mouthfeel was lighter than I expected.

Overall, this was a really delicious bottle of wine and I am happy we have another bottle of it hanging around. I served the wine with steak and raspberry jam wine reduction over 4 cheese risotto with fresh green beans. An excellent match and a pair I'd make again with this wine.

2 comments:

  1. John Witherspoon said...

    yay for yoakim bridge. I think you went there on my recommendation or am I just making things up.

    It was so nice to visit a small independent producer that was making fantastic small lot wines that weren't $100 a bottle.

    Glad you enjoyed.
    John

    10/23/07, 9:47 PM  

  2. Sonadora said...

    I think I did John! We really liked it there, and the wine is fabulous too!

    10/25/07, 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment