Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Whosit? Whatsit? The Great Whatsit!

October 22, 2008

You may be wondering, what exactly is The Great Whatsit? And where does it come from? How did I get it? Well I'll answer all that for you! The Great Whatsit is a Domain547 selection and this year it is a 2005 Syrah from Santa Ynez Valley. Domaine547 intends to have a Great Whatsit bottled every year, though there's no telling Whatsit will be from year to year! I purchased this wine from Domaine547 for $20, it clocks in at 14.9% alcohol by volume, and comes under a screw cap closure.


On the nose I found plums, cinnamon, baking spice, cobbler, pie, blackberries, licorice, espresso. It smelled like my kitchen when I've been baking, a veritable buffet of my favorite fruity cinnamony desserts all wrapped up into the nose of a wine! In the mouth I got flavors of black cherry, plums, bitter coffee, blackberry, and spice.

Overall, the wine had some tannins to spare, so let it air a bit or save it for a year. This is a dark wine, big and fruity, with a nice finish. Quite yummy! I think it might be up to $25 as I got it at an introductory price, but as with many of the wines Jill has recommended for me, this is great at the price point!

6 comments:

  1. Orion Slayer said...

    I don't know if it was intentional, but your first picture has a cool compliment of colors! The yellow mustard against the black skin of the hotdob matches the yellow glow coming out of the black suitcase on the label. VERY artistic. Wish I could sample some of the wine, too!

    10/22/08, 11:51 AM  

  2. The Wine Brat said...

    I think you are following me around my cellar! This is what I opened this week - before the weather warmed up suddenly again.

    It is a great big brooding dark wine, but lovely on a chilly fall evening.

    Yum!

    10/22/08, 7:28 PM  

  3. Anonymous said...

    Thanks for trying this out! I do think it has some time before it reaches its peak but I think it's pretty delicious already.

    Your notes are great. It does have some pie qualities on the nose!

    10/22/08, 10:55 PM  

  4. Sonadora said...

    The wine was good Orion! And no, not intentional on the photograph.

    How do you know I'm not IN your cellar, Thea?

    Thanks Jill!

    10/31/08, 6:42 PM  

  5. 逆円助 said... This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    7/4/09, 5:02 AM  

  6. 精神年齢 said...

    みんなの精神年齢を測定できる、メンタル年齢チェッカーで秘められた年齢がズバリわかっちゃう!かわいいあの子も実は精神年齢オバサンということも…合コンや話のネタに一度チャレンジしてみよう

    7/6/09, 5:35 AM  

Post a Comment