Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

WBW #50 Which Wine Which Wilderness

October 8, 2008

That's right folks, WBW crept up on us again this month. Our host for this golden birthday of WBW is a man who recently celebrated his own golden birthday, Russ, the Winehiker! In keeping with his interests and passions, Russ has set the theme for this WBW at Which wine, which wilderness? By this he meant he would like us to choose a wine we would like to drink after hiking a trail. He wants us to name the wine and the trail, and you get bonus points for choosing a local wine to the trail you select. You can get all the details here.

So here's the thing. On the scale of athletic to unathletic, I fall squarely in the "unathletic" camp. I force myself to exercise because it's good for me and with the amount of wine I consume I'd probably be the size of adult elephant in no time flat if I didn't. Sure, I've been on hikes. I hiked halfway up Mt. Moosilauke in NH before the altitude made it too hard for me to breathe and I got an asthma attack....but in reality I'm more of a "wine stroller" than a hiker.

Another notch against me is that within the Metro DC area, trails are simply not abundant. You'd have to drive a bit to get to anything remotely strenuous.

After considerable thought, I've decided that my trail is the Mt. Vernon Trail. We walk this one quite frequently as it's beautiful and very close to our house. The Mt. Vernon Trail goes all the way from Mt. Vernon to Roosevelt Island, all along the banks of the Potomac River. It's about 18 miles long, fully paved, and is open to both walkers/runners and bicycles. Matt and I like to walk back and forth along about a 4 mile stretch of this trail, through a pretty marsh land and up into Old Town Alexandria.

If I were to have a glass of wine at the end of this, I'd stop along the way at one of the many picnic spots along the scenic Potomac (you can see lots of the monuments from the trail) and pop the cork on a bottle of the 2006 Thomas Fogarty Gewurztraminer in honor of Russ himself and the wine hike he took me on a few weeks ago that ended with a tasting at Thomas Fogarty in the Santa Cruz Mountains!

The above picture is a Banana Slug I took a picture of while hiking with Russ. These creatures fascinated me and I'm sure it annoyed Russ to no end that I kept stopping to examine them and take loads of photos!

The Thomas Fogarty 2006 Gewurztraminer hails from Monterey County. It cost me $17 at the winery, clocked in at 14.5% alcohol by volume, and had a real cork closure. On the nose I found orange blossom, honey, ginger, lime, spice, tropical fruit, lychee, flowers, and something almost nutty. The nose on this wine kept going and going, so aromatic. You could smell your glass across the room. In the mouth I got flavors of citrus, oranges, tropical fruit, spice, and ginger.

Overall, the wine seemed light and sprightly. It had a great mineral quality, and the acidity really made it a refreshing wine. I would drink this at the end of a long hike/walk on the Mt. Vernon Trail because it it would be the perfect pick me up and would be a wonderful wine to drink while surrounded by great views of Washington, DC.

Many thanks to Russ for hosting us in this edition of WBW and as always, a tip of the hat to Lenn of Lenndevours, our founder who has kept WBW going for 50 iterations.

3 comments:

  1. Unknown said...

    Why, me, annoyed? Hardly, my dear! In fact, I was fascinated with your fascination! I love it when folks take an interest in those things that I think might only interest me. Never forget the child within!

    Thank you for your great write-up!

    Russ

    10/8/08, 10:35 AM  

  2. Matt mmWine Horbund said...

    What a fantastic post. I love the way you were able to bring us on the hike you had with Russ. And since I too am fascinated with photography as well as interesting subjects, I love the Banana Slug photo!

    However, you and I both know we're here for the wine. And I absolutely love Gewurztraminer. I haven't had one in about 2 months, and the last one I don't believe I blogged about. So, I appreciate your pointing out this fabulous wine, as I'll be trying to pick up a bottle. I'm concerned that it's a winery / California special, but I'm sure I'll find one sometime!

    I love how you describe the nose. While I've had some fragrant bouquet in my travels, none had the complex aroma you detected. I am quite jealous!

    Thanks for your great post!
    -Matt

    10/8/08, 11:33 PM  

  3. Sonadora said...

    Thanks Russ!

    Matt, I think they do distribute...it's worth the search!

    10/31/08, 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment