Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

A 2nd Look

October 6, 2008


I first reviewed this wine nearly 2 years ago. You can read that review here. At the time I said I wanted to hang onto the bottle for another year or so and see what it was like then. As luck would have it, moves and multiple rearranging projects in our basement kept this one hidden for nearly 2 years. We purchased the 2003 David Coffaro Terre Melange on our first trip to Sonoma in August, 2006. It cost us $24 at the time, clocked in at 13.9% alcohol by volume, and had a plastic cork closure. Terre Melange is a blend of 41% Carignan, 26% Peloursin, 26% Syrah, and 7% Mourvedre. We last drank this wine on December 3, 2006.


On the nose, I first found some funk that blew off within a few minutes. I got aromas of eucalyptus, red fruit, currants, sour cherries, some berries. Overall, I found it a bit funky throughout, something like a Cabernet Sauvignon, but there's no Cab in this blend. I found red currants, sour cherries, raspberries, and a bit of spice in the mouth. The fruit was quite tart and nicely integrated. The finish was long and smooth, quite different from the last time we drank this bottle.

The overall feel of the wine was quite a bit darker than I expected, especially since I found mostly red fruit flavors and aromas. I served it with BBQ ribs and my own take on a Caprese salad with cherry tomatoes and basil from our garden.

2 comments:

  1. Loweeel said...

    Wow, Coffaro grows Peloursin? That's wild. I didn't realize that it was actually in any blends aside from Robert Biale's Royal Punishers PS (and I'm not even sure about that one).

    Sadly, my quest for 100 will have to wait until Saturday. Peloursin would have been a great one :).

    I will definitely have to go out there next time I'm in Cali.

    10/6/08, 10:15 AM  

  2. Sonadora said...

    You should check them out. They have an awesome PS too!

    10/31/08, 7:01 PM  

Post a Comment