Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Old Chardonnay

June 30, 2008
When we did our basement re-org back in March, it came to light that we had quite a few old white wines hanging around. I have no idea how I forgot about them, or why they weren't in CellarTracker, but there you have it. We've been trying to drink through them before they get too old.

With that in mind, the wine for the evening was a 2004 Fritz Chardonnay. It hails from the Russian River Valley, clocked in at 14.2% alcohol by volume, had a real cork closure, and since it wasn't recorded, I have no idea what it cost, though I'd venture a guess in the mid $20s. I believe it probably came in a club shipment back when we were members.

I first noticed the strong aroma and dark yellow color of the wine. It was easy to tell this was an older white. The nose smelled of citrus, lemon, apple, pineapple, oak, caramel, and spice. In the mouth I found pineapple, green apple, oak, and citrus. The wine was heavy in the mouth, and it was well structured.

Overall, I'd say if you managed to hang onto this one all these years, drink it up. It was starting to lose the flavors in the mouth.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Hmmm, I don't think 2004 is too old for Chardonnay, especially if they are well-made... they can age longer. Other whites, though, like Gewurz, Sauv Blanc, etc, I wouldn't want to see around after sitting in a basement.

    p.s. Update Wannabe Wino link? Check. Trying to get back to business....

    6/30/08, 11:58 AM  

  2. Sonadora said...

    Thanks Farley :)

    It's possible it didn't get the best storage...it's been moved twice and lived for a year+ in our apartment bedroom...

    7/6/08, 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment