Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I Spier with My Little Eye

June 19, 2008
The wine for the dreadfully hot afternoon was a 2007 Spier Sauvignon Blanc. I picked this bottle up at Total Wine and More in Alexandria as part of a mixed case of under $10 Sauvignon Blancs. I was hoping that would get us through a bit of the summer, but alas, it's only June 19 and the case is gone. Another Total Wine trip may have to work its way into my weekend plans.

The wine hails from South Africa and is made by Spier Stellenbosch. More specifically it is from the Western Cape, had a plastic cork closure, and clocked in at 13% alcohol by volume.

Figs, tropical fruit, tart grass (yes, I realize that sounds strange and it would probably be me aptly described as freshly mowed grass, but tart was the first adjective that popped into my head), asparagus, and citrus. In the mouth, I got a fruit salad. Peach, fig, pineapple, citrus, melon, it was the drinkable equivalent of a refreshing hot afternoon snack.

The wine was crisp, but not mouth puckeringly so like a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, and exceedingly refreshing. Matt gave this one some high praise, proclaiming it "very drinkable." For an inexpensive Sauvignon Blanc, this is definitely a great value.

2 comments:

  1. Orion Slayer said...

    Hey, that's cool that there's a Total Wine in VA. We have one now in the Sacramento, CA area and maybe I'll be able to sample more of the wines you review first hand!

    It's also cool that you had a South African wine. I had a Syrah/Pinotage blend recently that I liked okay. I'll have to try the Spier!

    6/19/08, 5:06 PM  

  2. Sonadora said...

    I really like the South African Sauvignon Blancs. I think they represent a great value.

    Total wine will certainly help with you wine budget!

    6/29/08, 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment