Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Short term memory anyone?

March 6, 2007
I apparently lack one these days. We just drank a bottle of this the other night and somehow that fact managed to escape me. Sigh. You'd think with the blog and my spreadsheet, I would be better about this. Especially since I specifically said I didn't think the 2005 Hanna Pinot Noir was ready to drink yet. We literally had this 3 weeks ago. This time I served the Hanna with a baked maple syrup/brown sugar acorn squash and cornish hens wrapped in bacon and topped with a raspberry jam/balsalmic vinegar glaze. (Mainly I'm showing off my dinner at this point cause I'm really proud of how it came out!)

However, this is not the first repeat we've had in recent memory. We also just drank another bottle of 2005 De La Montanya Chardonnay which we tasted just a few months ago. And I've noticed as time goes on that I am having more and more trouble finding wines in my collection that are ready to drink, that are in the price range I want to drink that night and we haven't had them since I started the blog in November. Which leads me to believe we are in a slight wine rut. Not good. And now that I've combined all my wine club shipments into only once or twice a year, I am not expecting any new wine for at least 2 months.

Alas, we are also not in the position to be buying much additional wine at this point either. With the house closing coming up (eek, about 50 days!) we are watching every penny. So sadly my posting may be slowing a little for the next month since we simply are not drinking as many new wines as we had previously (though with 175 posts since mid-November, and the majority of them being wine reviews, we have consumed a slightly alarming number of bottles!!). I will attempt to find as many as I can that are different from what I've already reviewed while staying in the confines of my collection and keep up the posting!

3 comments:

  1. Joe said...

    Hmm - the only cure I have for a "wine rut" is a bigger cellar, but that doesn't seem appropriate at this time. Find a friend to swap some of your collection - I frequently sell bottles to friends if I am getting bored...

    3/6/07, 10:05 PM  

  2. Dr. Debs said...

    Two words: Cellar Tracker. It will solve this problem of drinking again too soon since it moves things down the food chain in your Drinkability Report.

    Also, head off to Total Wine or some other bargain wine outfit and buy a few totally bizarre bottles of under $10 wine that are recommended but you've never heard of. Drink 1 every 10 days for the next month. For $30 you will find yourself a) drinking out of your cellar with gratitude for the wine you bought before and/or b) discovering a new varietal, producer or region that is out of your normal range.

    3/7/07, 2:00 AM  

  3. Sonadora said...

    Hi Joe-Ah, a bigger cellar. That would be heaven. I wonder if Matt would notice if I started stashing away a little money every week for the new house cellar :) Nah, I wouldn't do that, but hopefully when we finish our basement I can carve out a section that will become my wine cellar.

    Hey Dr. Debs-I know. ::Hangs head in shame:: I need to upload my collection into Cellar Tracker. This weekend. We've got nothing planned, what better than rearranging the collection! And I do have to go buy some everyday wine again. I haven't been to my favorite shop in a while so perhaps they will have rotated their cheaper selections by now.

    3/9/07, 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment