Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Knocking another one out of the park!

March 10, 2007
Now, if you are an incredibly avid reader of my ramblings, you might be thinking, hum, didn't she review the 2004 Nelson Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon back in November? And the answer is, yes, I reviewed the regular garden variety, but tonight I am reviewing the 2004 Nelson Family Vineyards Top Row Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon and I am blown away!

The wine clocks in at 14.3% alcohol by volume, had a real cork closure and cost us around $19 in a club shipment. The wines from Nelson are very reasonably priced and represent great values for our wine budget. I actually need to get in touch with Chris Nelson as several months ago I asked him to answer some questions about his vineyard for the blog and he agreed, then things got crazy for me (read: we found, bid on and bought a house) and I haven't had a chance to sit down and draw up the questions. I promise I will do so soon readers!

Back to the wine. I get blackberries on the nose to begin with. They jumped out of the bottle when I opened it. My glass has been out for a few hours now and I am getting a touch of earth and something almost slightly minty (can't say I've seen that before!). Under those aromas comes some cedar and a little oak.

In the mouth I am finding plums, black currants and blackberries. The mouth is full of dark fruit. Following the fruit is a cedar taste. The fruit lingers in the mouth.

Overall, this wine is drinking really well right now. (Again, woo hoo, I'm back with wines I'm loving!) In the mouth it is smooth and silky and I don't get any tannins or alcohol heat. I served this with bruschetta and pork chops that I cooked in the crockpot in pasta sauce all day. I liked the match of the pasta sauce flavors with the dark fruit in this bottle. I would drink this one anytime you are ready if you have it around, it's drinking beautifully.

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Debs said...

    Sounds like a GREAT buy. Thanks for the heads up.

    3/10/07, 8:08 PM  

  2. Sonadora said...

    It is a great buy. I have a similarly good buy of their's in the form of an Orange Muscat waiting to be consummed. It's my only bottle and I know it's meant to be drunk young, but it's so good I can't bring myself to do it!

    3/12/07, 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment