Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Try this Wine.

July 30, 2007
I loved it. An overall fabulous bottle of wine, it had it all. An amazing nose, flavorful in the mouth, excellent structure and acidity, good tannins, I could go on....

The wine was a 2005 Quivira Grenache 2005 from Wine Creek Ranch Vineyard. It cost us $20.40 in a club shipment, clocked in at 14.8% alcohol by volume, and had a real cork closure. I've always liked Quivira and this is easily among the top wines I've tasted from them.

On the nose I found dark fruit. It was actually surprisingly floral overall. I specifically detected blackberries, strawberries, black currants, vanilla, and spice. This was a very aromatic wine.

In the mouth I would describe this wine as round, smooth, and full-bodied. Again, the dark fruit showed through, with slightly sweet strawberries and blackberries being the most prominent flavors. Overall this was a very dark wine.

I served it with homemade bruschetta and pizza and it was a fabulous match. A great pizza wine in my opinion!

6 comments:

  1. Orion Slayer said...

    This sounds like a great wine. Unfortunately, the shop I get my wine at (BevMo) doesn't seem to carry it. They do carry the Quivira Steelhead Red, a blend of 63% Grenache 17% Syrah 13% Zinfandel and 7% Mourvedre. Sounds like a promising blend! If I pick up a bottle of the Steelhead, I'll let you know what I think of it.

    I was interested to learn that Quivera's Wine Creek Ranch is a certified Biodynamic and organic vineyard since August 2005. Dry Creek Valley has been well known for their Zinfandels, but it would be nice to try some wines made from Rhone type grapes.

    7/30/07, 12:56 PM  

  2. foodette said...

    A great pizza wine!?! Then, this is the wine for me :)

    7/30/07, 3:41 PM  

  3. Anonymous said...

    Orion Slayer -- are there any other shops near you? If you can find a smaller, local store they will probably be able to hunt down a wine you're looking for, even if they don't have it on their shelves. Service isn't usually as good with the chains. They just stock what they stock. Depending upon where you are, you may have a local specialty store worth considering, and it might just be price-competitive with BevMo!

    7/31/07, 11:16 AM  

  4. Dr. Debs said...

    I've loved the Quivira rose, and am looking forward to getting a chance to taste their wines next week, so thanks for this timely review. It sounds really, really good. A wine that dark that still tastes like strawberries is ok by me!

    8/3/07, 11:59 AM  

  5. David said...

    will keep in eye out for this and others from Quivira, thanks. Hadn't heard of this winery.

    8/4/07, 6:02 AM  

  6. Sonadora said...

    I like the Steelhead Red too Orion. I've actually overall been very impressed with all things Quivira, good QPR.

    A very good pizza wine foodette!

    Good tips from Jill!

    Oh, have fun at Quivira Dr.Debs....hope they have some of their PS out to taste!

    It's a great winery David!

    8/6/07, 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment