Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Ceja Vino de Casa

May 17, 2007
We drank our very first bottle of wine from our very first WineQ shipment this week. The bottle was a 2005 Vino de Casa-White. It cost $17.99 (free shipping!), had a real cork closure and was 12.8% alcohol by volume. The blend is made of 68% Chardonnay, 28% Marsanne and 4% Viognier. I didn't really think that only 4% Viognier would make a difference, but was I ever wrong, from the nose, this could have almost been a Viognier.

The wine was incredibly aromatic, I could smell it as I opened the bottle. The nose was full of tropical fruit, pineapples and touch of oak, which I am assuming comes from the finishing in 2nd fill French oak as this is a steel fermented wine. In the mouth the wine was smooth and creamy. Flavors of lemon and apple dominated with a sweet hint that I want to say was toffee or caramel.

Overall the wine had an excellent structure and flavor. I was actually surprised by the flavors as I didn't know what to expect from this type of blend. We drank it on its own on a lazy weekened afternoon (one of our last of those for a while now that we have a house to take care of!) but I think it would have done well with many foods, particulary a roast chicken. A very successful first foray into WineQ. (More to come on my WineQ experience later.)

Sorry for the blog silence, we had a death in the family and had to travel unexpectedly for a few days. I'm also starting my new job today and the movers are coming on Saturday, so please pardon my slightly erratic posting and my lack of commenting on other blogs, I am still reading I promise!

5 comments:

  1. winedeb said...

    Yes, missed you yesterday. Sorry for the loss in your family. Hope the house is coming along. New places are so much work, but so fun because it is yours!
    The wine sounds like my kind of wine. I did a post for WBW on a Viognier that was great. And the price as even better. Most Viogniers that I have had I really enjoy, but have encountered a few that were too floral. Your WineQ souunds nice. Is that a club?

    5/17/07, 9:40 AM  

  2. Dr. Debs said...

    Sonadora, I'm so sorry about your loss. Here's hoping you have some R&R in your future.

    5/17/07, 12:22 PM  

  3. Anonymous said...

    Ditto - very sorry for your loss. Hope all is well with everything else (and congrats on the new job).

    WineDeb,

    WineQ is a new online wine service that is just being established. It uses a "NetFlix-like" Q and social networking technology so you can customize your orders. Its also free shipping on orders of $35 or more (so your typical 2 bottles would be free). Focus is on having the community find the "undiscovered" cult wines of tomorrow. Sorry if I sound like a preachy info-mercial, but I love the service. I use it to try the wines and then recommend them for my friends (who don't tool around on the Internet as much as I do).

    5/17/07, 5:40 PM  

  4. Sonadora said...

    Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. I appreciate it.

    And ditto Joel on what WineQ is winedeb, though I would add that the great benefit is that if you don't want wine for a month or whatever you can pause your shipments anytime you please or change the number of bottles or the date they ship on.....it's great!

    5/18/07, 1:36 PM  

  5. Anonymous said...

    Sonadora - sad for your loss, yet excited you have a new job and a new house.

    It is amazing how a little Viognier can go a long way. The first time I tasted a Syrah-Viognier (d'Arenberg Laughing Magpie) was the same sense of amazement at the effect a little Viognier can have - made me want to make one!

    5/19/07, 12:51 AM  

Post a Comment