Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Back in New Zealand

August 14, 2007
I couldn't abandon my New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs for too long, I love them too much. Wednesday evening found us having dinner with friends at the Lebanese Taverna. (I'm guessing that I sometimes sound like a broken record when I talk about where we go for dinner.....) We ordered the Table Mezza for the 4 of us, which is an absolutely fabulous deal. I never know when it will be offered, but I always get excited when I see the little slip of paper in the menu announcing it for the evening.

The Table Mezza comes with 5 appetizers, beef and lamb shwarma, chicken shwarma, rice pilaf, and of course, freshly baked pitas. All that food and only $25 a person. We always have enough left over for another meal each when we order this.

To go with our mish-mosh of food, I selected a Southbank Estate 2006 Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough, New Zealand. It had a screw top, cost us $33 at the restaurant, and was 13% alcohol by volume. I can only seem to find it in UK shops online, where it's going for about 8 pounds.

The wine smelled tart, with aromas of gooseberry, citrus, and grassy undertones. As soon as my taste was poured I could tell this was going to be my kind of wine. In the mouth there were tropical fruits, gooseberries, and grass. It was incredibly refreshing and crisp and went perfectly with our smorgasboard of food. I thought this was a great value for a wine in a restaurant.

3 comments:

  1. Orion Slayer said... This comment has been removed by the author.

    8/14/07, 10:09 AM  

  2. Orion Slayer said...

    Sounds like a great meal and wine combination. Is this picture what the bottle looked like? (link is to the Southbank website.)

    8/14/07, 10:11 AM  

  3. Sonadora said...

    That's exactly what the bottle looked like! And it was a great meal :)

    8/14/07, 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment