Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Now, if only I'd had some Salmon

May 14, 2008
As I discovered last year, I love pairing Pinot Noir with salmon on the grill. I look forward to many such pairings as fresh salmon season starts up again this year. Sadly, on the night in question we were only eating a mish mosh of leftovers with our Pinot Noir. Oh well, nothing wrong with clean out the fridge night!

The wine was a 2004 Michel Schlumberger Pinot Noir. I purchased the wine for around $26 at the winery on our latest trip out West, it had a real cork closure, and clocked in at 14.3% alcohol by volume.

On the nose I found strawberry, cherry, leather, earth, spice, violets, clove, and pepper. The wine had a smoky note, but I would also describe it as very perfumed. In the mouth, I got flavors of tart cherries and strawberries, raspberry, cherry coke, and earth. Overall the fruit was quite fresh.

For $26, this was more than an excellent value, it was a great CA Pinot Noir. I have one more bottle in the basement that I look forward to opening, though I think I'll let it live down there for another year or so and see how it develops.

3 comments:

  1. Leigh said...

    I love Pinot Noir with grilled salmon and aspargus. Very sporting of you to sacrifice and drink this with leftovers - but every meal should be a feast, and it sounds like this wine did just that.

    5/14/08, 8:40 PM  

  2. Anonymous said...

    These M-S pinots do age wonderfully. Give the other bottle a couple of years -- you won't be disappointed.

    Tony
    Cellar Master
    Michel-Schlumberger

    5/16/08, 11:49 AM  

  3. Sonadora said...

    Leigh-I think the combo is excellent, but like you say, a good wine can dress up even the homliest of meals! thanks for stopping by!

    Tony, thanks for the tip, and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

    6/4/08, 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment