Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Getting Twisted(er)

January 9, 2008
The wines from Twisted Oak have a sneaky habit of filling up my Q over at WineQ, and my last few WineQ shipments have been heavily Twisted! The bottle I am currently referring to is a 2005 Twisted Oak Viognier. I purchased it from WineQ in my last club shipment for $21.99 (free shipping), it had a real cork closure and clocked in at 14.1% alcohol by volume.

I served this with turkey soup, homemade by me! We tend to keep our house a little chilly in the winter, so perhaps you can see the steam rising from the soup...it's not because the soup is all the hot, it's just that cold in our house! The wine was an okay match for the soup, but I think it made a better after dinner wine, though I bet it would be great as an appetizer wine, or just sipping on its own.

On the nose I found aromas of pear, honey, apricot, and, oddly enough, caramel. I also noted something a bit spicy, but I couldn't quite place it. In the mouth, flavors of citrus, especially white grapefruit and lemon dominated, with notes of apricot and caramel/toffee/some kind of sweet candy.

The wine was sweet at the front of the palate but had great acidity and a bit of spice later on to keep the sweetness in check. This was a bigger white, and a touch creamy overall. I'm not sure if the picture does it justice, but the wine was really golden in color. Great wine, definitely something I'd get again.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    I like the "ER" part on the twisted, it made me laugh!

    It sounds like a nice Viognier, and one that maybe saw some time in oak with those nice caramel notes, I will have to check their website.

    Poor Matt, only got half of his face in the shot. :)

    SEe ya
    John

    1/9/08, 11:48 AM  

  2. Anonymous said...

    I'll vouch for that hint of creamy caramel, which I find lovely. This Viognier is a staple in my Q too!

    1/9/08, 12:59 PM  

  3. Sonadora said...

    John, he tries to hide when I take my pictures. Apparently he doesn't want to be a famous wino.

    Mmm, Winehiker, now I want more!

    1/23/08, 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment