Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Strawberry Fields Forever

December 18, 2006
Apparently we have a theme going for this week: wines that have distincly strawberry flavors. And, I haven't yet put away my longing for summer, much boosted by the very unseasonal 72 degrees we hit here today. (So how's that global warming working for you?) Thus, tonight was a bottle of Preston of Dry Creek 2005 Vin Gris, which is a rose table wine. This wine is 13.5 % alcohol by volume, has a real cork closure and ran us $17 minus a case discount when we bought it at Preston. Sadly, this bottle of Preston is also sold out. It seems most all Preston had to offer this year is sold out, which is making me rethink the decision not to join their club, as I'm not sure we can get their wines otherwise....

Back to the wine. What a great wine. Fun to drink, light, yet creamy and perfect for a summer afternoon (or a winter day masquerading as summer, or really, any day you want!). As I said, the texture is creamy, which I find surprising in a rose. The color looks like a melted watermelon Jolly Rancher, and it follows though with a solidly watermelon and strawberry taste (though not in the sickeningly sweet way I would imagine a melted Jolly Rancher to taste, which really, can't be all that pleasent to drink!).

I paired this with our leftover "Christmas" dinner. So honey baked ham, cheesy mashed potatoes and candied carrots. It was a pretty tasty match. I think a rose is great with a ham, and we have a bottle of Pedroncelli 2005 Rose (or 3) hanging around that I might pair with our ham and cheese pizza that I'm making of the leftovers for dinner tomorrow. Stay tuned (if anyone actually reads this!) :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment