Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Perfect Summer Wine

August 12, 2008

The wine for the evening was the 2007 Michel Schlumberger Pinot Blanc. The bottle came in a club shipment, but it retails for about $21. The wine had a real cork closure and clocked in at 12.8% alcohol by volume. Pizza and white wine probably represent one of my least elegant wine and food pairings, however, I wanted homemade pizza and I REALLY wanted to drink this wine, so there you go. I first became acquainted with Michel Schlumberger after reading about the winery on Fork and Bottle before our 2007 trip to CA. We stopped by to visit and immediately joined the club as we were so impressed with the quality of the wines. Since then, we have visited again, and I chose this wine as part of my Summer Sippers pack for Domaine547.

I easily recommended the 2007 vintage of this wine based on past experiences with it, but here is my review of the vintage included in my Domaine547 Blogger Pack. On the nose I found pear, lime, green apple, pineapple, and honeysuckle. The wine smelled crisp and I could almost taste the acidity before I even got it in my mouth. With the heat we've been having I was salivating over the wine before I even took the first sip. And I was not to be disappointed. My first note for the taste of this wine was "woah tart!" In the mouth I found pear, lemon, lime, tart apple, a vein of minerality, and honey. The wine was cool, refreshing, and perfect for the weather. This is an easy one for me to recommend, though I'd suggest not pairing it with pizza :)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    I love Pinot Blanc and hope to grow it in Oregon.

    This sounds like a great one to try!

    8/12/08, 6:58 PM  

  2. Anonymous said...

    Fun post!
    I agree with you that pizza and white is usually a tough combo...but if there is no tomato (bitter) could work.
    Across the street from the Gare de l'Est in Paris (that is the train station that goes to all eastern destinations), there is convenient Alsacian bistro called La Stasbourgeoise. The last time I was there, I had Schlumberger Riesling with 'an Alsacian pizza' called flammekueche. It has onions, bacon and cheese (no tomato). The combo was surprisingly good!

    8/13/08, 6:27 AM  

  3. Anonymous said...

    I have a bottle of the '06 in my "to drink soon" rack. Curious to try it.

    8/13/08, 6:41 AM  

  4. Sonadora said...

    Noble Pig, I love this wine. It's great from year to year, and I certainly am impressed with a wine that can achieve consistent quality.

    Hi saltpepperlime! Welcome to the blog and thanks for the comment! I agree, I definitely think the tomatoes and the white wine weren't good, but maybe a four cheese pizza with no sauce or tomatoes would be the way to go.

    Carol-It's very good. I reviewed the '06 last year and thought it was delicious.

    8/14/08, 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment