Friday Wine Down
Friday, September 14, 5:30 - 7:30
Join Mark Magness of Select Wines and take a wine tour around the world. Take advantage of special discounts during the tasting.
Saturday Double-Header Tasting
Saturday, September 15, 1-4 pm
One store. One time. TWO GREAT TASTINGS!
The French Wine Tasting: Jonas Gustafsson of Dionysos Imports will be presenting a fabulous selection of wines from some of the top areas of France. There will be white wine from Alsace, Pouilly Fume and Sancerre. Red wines will be open from Burgundy and Bordeaux. Try 'em and buy 'em. The special tasting discounts make it easy!
The Italian Wine Tasting: Alberto Panella of Grappoli Imports will be showing excellent new wines from Italy! Alberto will show beautiful new Tuscan reds from Carlo Vittori, a big red from Umbria, and many more. Once again you'll be able to take advantage of great discounts during the tasting.
2006 Thorn-Clarke Shotfire Barossa Shiraz. Every fall folks look forward to stocking up on the latest vintage of this perennial favorite. It always arrives in September or October, and it always runs out months before the next vintage is released. Be the first in your group to taste the new vintage -- we'll have it open for sampling this Friday evening on the tasting bar.
To induce you to buy your stash from us, we've put it on sale for 3 days. Buy 6 bottles or more and take 10% off our low regular price, which is unchanged from last year despite a cost increase. We want your business on this wine.
September is a transition month, sometimes reflecting summer and at other times hinting at autumn. This Saturday we'll capture the spirit of transition by looking back a few weeks by showing a refreshing rosé and a verdicchio, and then we'll set our sights to cooler days to come by showing a hearty primitivo and zinfandel. John Grimsley of Grappoli Imports will lead the tasting.
A heads up to next week's event at UnWined in Alexandria:
Wednesday September 19 - Tuscan Tasting, 6-8pm
This drop-in tasting will feature Proprietor Guido Andretta from Tenuta Vitanza of Montalcino. We'll feature four wines from his estate, including the 2001 Brunello!
Reservations are not required.
**TOP CHOCOLATES FROM MICHAEL RECCHIUTI + WINE** (Fri, Sept 14, 6-8 pm) --
- a rich, buttery Chardonnay paired with Recchiuti's Burnt Caramel Sauce
- a black cherry-like New Zealand Pinot paired with dark milk chocolate
- the intense 85% bars (one jazzed up with the addition of crunchy cacao nibs) paired with a single-vineyard Argentine Malbec and an earthy red from southern France
- a gorgeous, intense Chardonnay made in the seemingly emerging style that holds the oak in favor of riveting flavors of pineapple, lime, and green apple
- a super value in Sonoma Cabernet that you've never heard of, made in a lush, approachable style
- a bold, smoky blend of Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and Petite Sirah as only California could do it
- an old favorite in red from the Cotes-du-Rhone that's better than ever in the 2005 vintage
- a newly-imported, 90-Point Chateauneuf made by the flamboyant mayor of Chateauneuf-du-Pape
- a pair of gorgeous, spicy reds from Chateau Fortia and Bosquet des Papes (90+ points each!)